1 qt chilled olive oil
4 tsp plain gelatin powder
3 Tb. cold water
3 fl oz hot pomegranate juice www.perfectpome.com
(or other flavored liquid such as balsamic vinegar, coffee, etc.)
salt (for ice bath)
Fine mesh strainer
1 qt container (metal preferred)
1. Chill 1 qt of olive oil in the fridge for several hours until very cold.
2. Mix the gelatin powder and 3 Tb cold water in the squeeze bottle until the gelatin is softened. Heat up pomegranate juice and stir into gelatin mix until smooth. Leave the mixture out until it reaches room temperature. It is ready when at room temperature.
3. Place oil into an ice bath. Move the squeeze bottle around the oil and allow the small droplets to cover the bottom of the oil container with "caviar".
4. When half of the liquid has been used, let the oil rest in the ice bath for 5-10 minutes to make sure the gelatin has set. After the break, pour the olive oil through the fine mesh strainer into another container to catch the "caviar". Place the caviar on a plate and let rest in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. DO NOT RINSE the oil off of the "caviar".
5. Place olive oil back into container and ice bath to prepare for more "caviar". Repeat steps 2-4 until the gelatin mixture is gone.
6. When finished, store the "caviar" in a covered plastic container in the fridge. The "caviar" will last for a week. Save the olive oil in the fridge for use while cooking or for the next batch of "caviar"!